Monday, September 12, 2011

First Day of School!

This morning Rivkin and I grabbed yogurts for breakfast, walked around the corner, and attended our first day of classes!  The first class I went to was the Spanish art history class, taught by an old, chubby woman wearing a gray Hanes t-shirt and matching gray sweatpants.  Not your traditional first-day-of-school outfit, especially for a professor.  The class sounded really interesting but conflicted with another one of my classes so I won't be able to take it.  Kind of a bummer, but instead I'm going to take a Spanish film class which I get to try tomorrow night.  It's a three hour class where, I'm assuming, we watch a Spanish film each time and then discuss it.

My Spanish language class consists of five people.  Three of the five are my really good friends.  I think it will be a really low-key class but will still provide ample opportunity for me to practice my conversational Spanish as well as grammar.  My third (and final) class is a Spanish civilization class taught be the director of the BU Study Abroad program, Ray Green.  In this class, we will primarily learn about the history of Spain and how such events have shaped Spanish culture over time and how it influences current issues today. Both of these classes will be extremely helpful and rewarding while I'm in Spain; it will help me feel a deeper connection to the country and the language and provide me with a background to really understand the culture around me.  We also take field trips to several museums in Madrid, including Museo del Prado and Museo Reina Sofia.

The best part of the day today: we bought Real Madrid tickets for September 27!! Real Madrid is the football (soccer) team in Madrid that is apparently really good.  Everyone says going to a football game is a must, so I'm so glad we will have the opportunity to experience a fun cultural event.  Next task is to buy bull fighting tickets....

No comments:

Post a Comment