Thursday, October 20, 2011

Sorolla

Online reviews say Museo Sorolla is one of the best art museums in the city; I've read several times that it's a hidden gem.  Hidden, that's for sure.  Google Maps says it's a five minute walk from my house but I had never laid eyes on the museum, even when I walk ten minutes in each direction.  Every time I get off the Metro, I follow the exit signs to "Museo Sorolla" (since it's also the direction of my house), but still, never see this mysterious structure. After many failed attempts to find it on my own, our teacher told us she wanted to take our class on a mini field trip to see Sorolla's works of art.  Finally, I got to see it!  No maps needed!

The museum, which is actually the painter Joaquin Sorolla's old house, is tucked away behind a gate and many trees (I'm trying to justify why I haven't been able to find it).  When you walk through the gate, you are led down a path in a beautiful garden that surrounds the house, equipped with fountains and flowers and statues.  Upon entering the museum, I struggled to believe that this painter once lived there. It's an enormous, lavish home with two-story tall ceilings and skylights that allow the natural light to stream in.  Many of the rooms, like the dining room, foyer, and art studio, have been preserved since the 1800s, so you really get a sense of what it may have been like to live in such a mansion.  Every wall in the house/museum is filled with Sorolla's incredible paintings.  One room features many of his beach scenes, another his garden paintings, another his portraits, and finally an exhibition of his paintings from an extensive trip to Granada.  His primary medium is oil paint, which he layers on with thick, heavy strokes, and one painting is larger than the next.  I can't believe I hadn't learned much of Sorolla in school or even art class because I find his work to be breathtaking.  The way he captures light, air, and movement in his paintings are incredible.  I was also so impressed by the way he communicated the movement of water and how light and objects reflect on the water.  From personal experience, I think painting water is one of the hardest things to do, so I was especially taken aback by how beautifully and effortlessly he painted it.  For reference, here are some Sorolla paintings that were on display in the museum.  Keep in mind that in real life they're huge...








I think it's safe to say now that Sorolla is one of my favorite artists.  Alex wants to see the museum too, so I think I'm going to go with her to see all the paintings again. Can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment